Saturday, 14 July 2012

Home Sweet Home

Today marks my fourth day back in Canada... and my first day that I left my house (for longer than 1 hour).

It has been a long journey back.

My trip home started at 2AM when I woke up for an hour drive to Brisbane.
It was a little hectic as I was flying from Brisbane to Sydney (Domestic) on Qantas Airlines. However once we arrived in the domestic airport, we were told that this particular flight was flying out of the international airport.... off we went RUNNING to the car to make our way to the other airport. Time check 4:10am and the flight was supposed to take off at 5am.

We made it. I checked in my backs while Cait parked the car.
The farewell with Cait was bittersweet. She has been my roommate for 5 months and my friend for over 10 months. I have really bonded with her and she has seen me at my bests and my worsts (whale watching sickness, break down with my last teaching experience etc.).

I boarded that plane and off we went.

After arriving in Sydney I heard there was a delay (noooo!!).
Sydney was experiencing some fog (lots of it) and so the flight I was supposed to board, had to do a landing in Brisbane because it wasn't safe to come into Sydney.

So off we went.. waiting.

Basically I waited an extra 5 hours in the airport when finally we boarded and started our journey to Vancouver.

At this point, I knew I missed my connecting flight in Vancouver to Toronto so I just waited until I heard anything further to assess the situation. Apparently Air Canada was going to arrange my travels for me once I landed in Toronto.

The thing that sucked about traveling back to Canada - I was required to collect my luggage at every stop. So while I was in a race to collect my luggage in Toronto, I had to keep in mind that I was in a race against everyone else to get a seat on the earliest flight out of Vancouver - haha

Turns out that I was too late to get on the 1pm flight and so I boarded the 1:30 flight which was scheduled to touch down in Toronto at 9 PM.

In Toronto, I was so excited to get off the plane. Frankly, I didn't want to be another plane for a very long time! haha I knew I had people waiting for me (expecting my mother, father and sister) but it turned out to be a whole cheering squad!  My mother, father, sister, her fiance, my best friend and my cousin. It was excellent. Truthfully, I always wanted to know how it would feel to be greeted at the airport (I've witnessed a lot of homecoming welcomes and always tear up seeing them). Well let me tell you, it feels great.

Now.. as I've said, I have been home for 4 full days.
Here has been my sleeping schedule:
Day 1: 4:30 am until 11 am then again at 2PM until 4PM
Day 2: 11 PM until 5 am (wooohooo)
Day 3: 7 PM until 10 PM and again 4 am until 11:30 am
Day 4: 2 AM and I am still awake...

This sucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment