Friday, 9 November 2012

Whoops

Yesterday I was reminded that I haven't been keeping up to date with my blog....so here goes.

Since September, I have been volunteering at two different Toronto District School Board schools. At one, I am there three days a week assisting in a JK/SK classroom. This experience has provided a lot of classroom experience and professional development. In the AM class, I work with a child with Down Syndrome and in the PM class, I am assisting a child with Aspergers. The learning opportunity is incredible. These students have so much to offer and teach me new things everyday.
The Kindergarten teacher is also a gem. He appreciates my teaching experience and values my opinion during our learning centres. I tend to do one learning centre every week that I am there.

One day a week I volunteer at a different school. This school has me floating between a couple of classrooms - more exposure. Consistently I am in a JK/SK class in the afternoon but the mornings I could be in a Grade 3 or 6 classroom. Last week I was placed in the Grade 6 class and was thrown into teaching a grammar lesson with 3 minutes notice. I rocked it but that's probably how supply teachers feel when entering a new classroom.
I also started private tutoring and coach basketball for Durham's Special Olympics.

I am also involved in an online course for Additional Qualification, (Professional Development) - Special Education Part 1. This course started in September and ends mid-December. I am debating on taking a second course in the new year but we'll see what happens. These courses aren't cheap!  I am considering taking my senior qualifications course (which will allow me to teach and supply high schools - allowing for more movement when I finally do get on the supply list).

Speaking of which, I am still applying everywhere to be on a teaching board. Toronto, Peel and York have my applications and now it's just a waiting game. If I hear anything, it'll be in the next two months. They will contact me and I will have to do a panel interview to see if I am qualified to be on their Board. If I'm not successful, after the New Year, the boards will open again and I will have to re-apply. I am hoping (and keep hearing) that all my hard work of volunteering and the experience I am gaining can only benefit me with these applications. So we'll see!


The holiday seasons is approaching so if anyone needs (paid) seasonal help with their business, please let me know!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment