Friday, 23 September 2011

Road Trip - Wrap up


The trip to the town of 1770:
It's called 1770 because in the year 1770, Captain James Cook entered Australia via the town (they then called), 1770.  This town is super small. It's right on the waterfront where they have one restaurant, connected to one bar. There are some houses on the cliff, but we were told that there won't be any more houses built. Whatever is there, will stay there. If a tree dies, they will just plant a new one. A lot of the houses I saw, were actually up for sale. So that's interesting but a local said that they're priced in the millions and for the house conditions, they aren't worth it. And, since the floods last year, a lot of people are weary on buying houses near any form of water.

We started on Friday where we headed to Caitlin's parents house (on a farm). Here we gathered all of their camping equipment and then headed to bed. The next morning we left at 8 am for our road trip adventure.

First stop up to Caitlin's parent's house: The Ginger Factory.
This was a free admission factory where we could explore the growing of the ginger, eat lunch, taste icecream made from ginger etc.  It was fun but slightly boring haha

 Then we stopped at Catilin's parents house ... this picture is of me picking lemons - they are HUGE! Her parents farm has lemon trees, custard apple trees, alpacas, cows etc. It was beautiful.


 On route we stopped in Bundaberg where we went to the Bundaberg Rum Factory. We didn't want to pay to go through the factory so we just did what was free. And of course took every opportunity to take pictures :)

After a couple of more stops for booze, lunch and random snacks for the ride, we arrived at Captain Cook's Camp Ground. After setting up our 12 man tent (for 4 people), we explored the site and tried to find the water.


We went down to 1770 (right on the waterfront) and ate dinner and had a couple of drinks. Then Casey and I went down to the water to enjoy the sunset. It was beautiful. Then, as funny as it was, we ran into someone from University. She was stopping through on her way to Cairns and stopped to do the sunset kayaking tour.  

 Then we went to the camp site for a bit before we went to bed early..... so we could wake up at 5 am to watch the sunrise. This was beautiful. I think I've done this before but here, it was just really special because it wasn't too too cold, and we were in Australia haha We did this for two mornings.

 After this day, we went to the beach until 2 pm. Then we headed off to surfing lessons. We found this company that was $22 for 4 hours of surfing. We had 11 people and one instructor. I didn't really enjoy it as the waves didn't show up. And I think I just accepted the fact that I won't become a world class surfer haha   When we came back to the camp site, we jumped into the pool (to take the sand off us ), but one of the camp ground workers started talking to us and told us about a beach, a private one that no one uses. So the next morning we woke up at 5, packed our bags and headed there for the day. It was breathtaking! I felt as though I was on a island .... or in Fiji! haha  Literally the first day we were there, we saw 1 person walking their dog. The next day, we climbed some of the cliffs and went to a different part of the beach and it was AMAZING!
One of the nights we went back around 2 pm and went on the sunset kayaking tour. This was exhausting but fun. The waves were huge(ish) so the instructor taught us how to surf the waves (much easier on a kayak than a surf board). We did flip twice trying to do this - and I blame Casey (she'll agree, too) because she did things she wasn't supposed to do - like turn around while the wave was coming - you should always be straight into a wave). And p.s getting into a kayak from the water isn't easy.

So basically the trip consisted of driving, eating, swimming, surfing, camping, kayaking, reading and tanning.

It was amazing and I loved every second of it.

For those of you looking at how tanned I got ( the above is a sneak peak of the Australian sun).

Yesterday we went to Brisbane: Here are some random photos of downtown Brisbane.







2 comments:

  1. Looks like an amazing trip Ash!!!!!! I loved all your photos! You are so tanned! Also, your tent was awesome- so big! How many nights did you camp for?? Sunsets and sunrises were gorg!!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved every second of it.
    The beaches were amazing... I couldn't believe that we could find a beach that NO ONE goes to. How does that even happen?!

    I am going to post an album on facebook soon - of more pictures but I gotta be on campus to do it - steal their internet ;)

    We camped for 3 nights. The tent was my friends parents. It was supposed to be a 12 man tent but those things always lie. It was neat though. It had a little entrance way where it was fully enclosed and then from there, you go into the tent. But they estimated how many people could sleep in that tent including the entrance way - which is wrong.

    The sleeping bags are totally different here too - sooo much thinner! haha They're literally called, Queensland sleeping bags. haha

    And yes, waking up at 5am for the sunrise was soooo worth it! loved it all.
    Actually became really stressed when i returned to school..didn't realize how relaxed I became out there.

    ReplyDelete