Today I had my first maths lesson - finding the area of composite shapes.
It really wasn't that hard. Explaining it wasn't difficult and the assignment wasn't too difficult either.
Overall, it went well.
Then in the afternoon I had a Health lesson. This time it was on Spiritual and Emotional Health. Last night when I was doing the research for it, I was getting really excited about it. I was really into the content involved.
I had a powerpoint presentation and used a lot of live/relatable examples for the students to comprehend the language.
I also made them write down, on a post-it note what they believed in, what made them happy and it was for them to take home. This was an idea for the students to reflect on it - so if they felt sad (emotions), they could remind themselves what they can do to improve (their spirits). This was cute. I enjoyed this.
Then I did role playing with the students - to demonstrate the levels of emotions (we're trying to open their eyes to NOT being dramatic about small things).
In the end, I might have ran out of time, as I could have liked to do more skits. But overall, I enjoyed the lesson.
My review was that it could have been more interactive. Note taken because the students were sitting on the carpet for a while but I did two things to break up the 30 minutes. Again, note taken.
This was actually the first lesson I didn't get "exceeds" on my observation form. Usually, with the previous 9 observation forms, I received exceeds in all 16 sections (the teacher marks our lesson), but this was the first one I received 'met' in three categories. Boo! But it's something to work up to. Perhaps she's just being a little harder on me because I've been in the classroom for three, going on four weeks.
Either way, I enjoyed the lesson.
Tomorrow is the Melbourne Cup. It's a big thing here in Australia. Everyone is 'going to the races'...except us Teachers. Actually, in other States, they close down schools, stores etc. so everyone can watch the races. But we have to teach. The sad thing, the pre-service teachers are going on yard-duty while the actual teachers are going to the library for a potluck/races watch.
How nice.
Halloween is today. The kids barely participate. They don't even go trick-or-treating here - unless the community comes together and agrees that they'll be participating. So weird!
Enjoy your week!
No comments:
Post a Comment