Tuesday, 20 March 2012

Volunteering

Today I volunteered at a primary school doing a Support-A-Reader program.
Basically I go into a classroom for 2 hours and help with their literacy block. But because I have experience with this, I usually get the kids who require the most help.

I have also been conducting running records - it's an assessment teachers are supposed to conduct on their children WEEKLY. The reading test takes about 15-20 minutes and it determines the child's reading level (to assign the child the proper books to further develop their reading skills).

The school is completely different than what I am used to. It's a State school, so in Canadian terms, a public school.  Remember, I was placed at a private school last term - so EVERYTHING is different about it. The manners of the children, the way the teachers teach, and especially the way they speak to the children.
I was actually shocked with how they YELL at the children. But it happens. Apparently that's what I should expect in State schools anyway.

SO at the end of the day, the teacher I am working with asked me where I am placed for my second placement.. I said I don't know where. Just that it should be sorted soon. She and her colleague wanted to request me as their prac. student. So that was flattering.  The other teacher, a younger male, was literally walking into principals office to request me.

Apparently, the knowledge of knowing how to conduct Running Records is HUGE for primary teachers. I know a couple of Canadians who have gotten hired solely because they can conduct these tests.

Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment